Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cottage

Cottage season has opened and our cottage has become an appreciated break from our house on the market. We not only avoid Open Houses, but it is a place to relax and not worry about that smudge on the bathroom mirror. For a while, I carry a J-cloth in my back pocket. Now, I am relaxing and even having anti-imaculate house days; when I don't make my bed or do dishes immediately. Luxury!
So now that the house is finished, my cottage is ALMOST finished. Here are a few shots of my favourite place:
BEFORES:
Yes, it really was this ugly. Not to mention: a slanted floor, fish grease on the walls and vermin living within. You ask: what were we thinking? Well, the out doors is what sold us...







So we did this:



early non-decorated days
I love this view
and love this porch!
So now we do this:
and this







We have a couple things more to finish. The screened porch (way above) is clad in pine wainscotting, with a little drywall from the top of my head up to a peaked ceiling. I thought of fish wallpaper and making it kitschy cottage, but now I am leaning towards serene and fresh.  We are at the painting stage and need a counter for the kitchen. That takes care of the interior, plus the fluffing. Lou talks about "Phase Three of the Waterfront Development" - can you tell he's a builder??? This consists of making a lower deck below the one above and then a ramp down to dock. This is all a fine idea (he walked me through it 2 weeks ago), but before the summer kicks into high gear (when we really don't want to be working), I would like to finish the interior. PLEASE HONEY????
On a totally different vein, was inpired me to write about the cottage was this great idea I want to do for the cottage, Citrus Fruit Votives I found on HGTV"


Citrus Fruit Votives

By: Chantel Guertin
Print this Article





These easy, fragrant candles are a great addition to any backyard barbeque or summer fete.
Materials:
Assortment of fruits: oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits
1 bag of shredded candle wax
Wick
Grapefruit spoon or small sharp knife
Paper towels
Muffin tray
Optional: A few drops of citrus oil extract (found at craft stores)
Directions:
  1. Cut the fruits in half (lemons and limes lengthwise; oranges and grapefruits widthwise).
  2. Use a grapefruit spoon or small sharp knife to hollow out the skins. Dry the insides of the skins with paper towels. Place the skins in a muffin tray.
  3. Cut wicks to approximate lengths. Make a small slit in the bottom of the each fruit half and stick one end of wick into the membrane so that it stands on its own.
  4. In a medium pot, add citrus oil extract (optional) and melt the shredded wax on high heat until it becomes a clear liquid. Pour wax slowly into the fruit halves, holding the wick upright with your free hand until the wax starts to harden.
  5. Let the wax cool. Trim the wick to desired height (wicks should never be more than 1/2" above wax). Store the fruit votives in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
Caution: Never leave a burning candle unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment