Thursday, April 15, 2010

Entries and Hallways

I have to say, I am enjoying the Restoration Hardware e-newsletter. I almost posted on their wonderful garden pots and urns last week (but got too busy). But today, they sent this wonderful picture (below) of their new Shutter Entry Lockers. I love the louvered drawers! So that inspired me to look for more fetching entryway solutions.

This one has to be my favourite. It reminds me of England. The thing to remember here, is to let as much sunlight into a small, narrow hallway. The black door off sets the clean, white hall, leaving it open to show off colourful art, the beautiful stained glass window, runner, stool and curtain for closet. Simple, yet so effective.

I always have a try to hold my keys. Mine go onto a silver antique plate that was a gift from my friend, Nancy. I am still trying to "train" my husband to use it as he is always asking "Have you seen my keys?"
here's an interesting one. It is a buffalo horn, molded into a tray. $36 US, velocityartanddesign.com.

This one is a little bright for my taste, but again, the stain glass window fetches my eye. Also, at first, I thought I was looking at mirrored doors. Obviously, it is a glassed in entry (very smart to cut the breeze in a small open room). Having said that, a mirrored entry closet would work wonders to expand the space.


Somehow, I have always loved checked black and white floors at an entrance. This one is beautiful. Again, the transom windowed black door, with great hardware sets the stage. Elegant, yet not stuffy. Note how the candle sconce and sticks echoes the gold of the ceiling fixture. This is originally a paint shot for Martin Senour Paints and should also be noted - a beautiful job.


How dark this hallway would be without the windows around the doors.  Here's what you can do with a wide long hallway entrance - as much as possible! Just don't overdue it. The runner and the long bench gives it its cohesiveness. 


Here's how you can incorporate a new trendy colour without going hog-wild. Turquoise become a fresh, soothing welcome. The (Pottery Barn?) bench and hooks provide adequate storage. What I like about this treatment, is the art display on top. You've got a high ceiling, so makes the most of it.


This could be my favourite too. Why leave it to one?? I obviously love windowed, white entrances. Here, the rich dark wood makes the white pop. Note here, the use of colour is limited. Very calm, classic.


One of my favourite lighting stores in Toronto is Royal Lighting, not to mention Union Lighting and Sescolite. But Royal is where you will find this darling:
Sorry - a little blurry, but worth posting. I love the use of colour here: the pillow and who would think to have two similar lamps in different colours and different coloured shades? The effect is perfect! This warm, friendly country entrance give you a lot to look at.


Here's that stain glass again. I must be fond of it too. The arched doors work great here. Very English. I wish we could see the flooring. I can imagine either sisal on dark hardwood or black and white check. 


2 comments:

  1. I love the checkered black n white floor hallway with that awesome front door! I'm inspired and I have a very old house to decorate. It was built in 1850 so you can imagine the height of the wood trim baseboards ceilings and the large windows. Thanks for the inspiration. I love your style :)
    Chels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that star hanging light fixture (from the 2nd picture) in my entry way! Makes me feel like I'm doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete