Thursday, February 11, 2010

Elizabeth's Bedroom Upgrade

Yesterday, I did something I should have done ages ago: I took pictures of every room, nook and cranny, in my home. Once uploaded, I made my notes of what I want to do in each room. It may be a little daunting, but it gave me a map or to-do list and as a very visual person, it proved extremely helpful.
One year, at the IDS Show in Toronto, I lined up with my house photos (particularly, the new Family Room addition) for a presentation by House and Home magazine. Linda Reeves, Cobi Ladner, Marc Chalmers and a couple others were accepting photos for free advice on room solutions. Linda took on my project and drew onto my photo and made comments. So, I too, have notes on all my uploaded photos, I am going to print them and draw on them with black marker.

The first project to tackle in the move of my 13 yr old daughter's bedroom into my eldest daughter's room (away at university). Now, part of me thinks this is slightly callous, believing the room needs to stay Lucy's for when she comes home. Problem is, I am the only one who feels that way. Lucy is happily finishing her 2nd year at school and is moving into a 2nd house with her friends. Her excitement is in decorating that room and as long as she has a place to sleep when she does come home, she doesn't mind her little sister taking over her room.

So here's the inspiration:
White walls with yellow accent (2 smaller walls painted yellow) to match the toile fabric. She likes the Pottery Barn one here, but I may still make a trip to Designer Fabric Outlet in Toronto and make her duvet and pillow covers.

Ikea Expedit shelves against one yellow painted nook, so the colour shows through the back (I love the circular mirrors too):

I also want her to have a large bulletin board to organize her time better. I was inspired by this photo, only I plan to make it twice the width, to fill another short blank wall:

And finally, remove the old ceiling fan and put a funky light fixture. I like the one above or Ikea's PS Maskros that looks like a seeding dandelion:

No comments:

Post a Comment